How to Make Your First App (Philabaum)

How to Make Your First App, by Ben Philabaum, 2014

This was an unusual ebook in terms of its content. While the idea of making my own app for my iPad intrigues me, this book is missing one little detail that may seem crucial to completion of this task: how to make an app!

Now before you cry foul, or con, or bait and switch, let me tell you that it does give you everything you need if you want to have an app to sell and make a few extra bucks -- and by a few, I mean a few, not a few million or possibly not a few thousand. At least, not with your first app.

There is more to creating, publishing and successfully marketing an app than just writing some code. In fact, the code might be the least important part because you can pay someone else to write it for you.

Again, this isn't a cop out. Think about it. The creators/owners of many businesses don't actually make their own product. They just come up with the idea, get it made, and then market it. Better marketing will increase sales, and if you get someone who makes it better than you, even better.

There are people who will write code for you for a flat fee, and the book includes a few places where you can go. Keep in mind that most of the examples the author uses for very simple limited apps that fill a need. Starting small can help you build a client base. And can keep your losses down if it turns out that this isn't for you.

So this was an interesting read, but a little disappointing. I used to be a programmer, so, yes, I was hoping for coding tips, or even instructions. However, Philabaum does deliver on the promises in his introduction, even if the book's title is a little misleading.

Again, this was another "book to read between books". Actually, I started reading this because I left the print book I was reading home, and this was on the device I was carrying on the train.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cibola Burn (Corey)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)