2017 -- The Year in Review

One of the problems I always have with lists of the "best" books of any given year is that I rarely get to read books in the year that they are published. I guess I rely so much on word of mouth for new things, and if they are popular, I won't see a copy of it.

Secondary problem, I'm at a point where I have way too many books, so I don't purchase too many. I might get a new book as a gift, or if I'm getting it signed by the author, which hasn't happened for a new release since I worked in midtown Manhattan.

My reading time could be summed up as follows: before bed, on the subway (not buses), and lying around in the pool. (Yes, in the pool, so my choices are limited -- no ebooks, obviously.)

Looking at this blog, there were 20 entries from 2017. One of those had two books, and another mentioned 30 volumes of manga read over a 12-month period. Assuming half of those were read in 2017, that's 35 books, which isn't bad.

Add to that a few more books that weren't written up yet, and that brings the total to 40. Not horrible, actually.

I think that my summer challenge turned into an interesting experiment, but too many of the books at my local library were reference books, not suitable for summer reading, and I found myself picking up quite a number of "young adult" selections. Nothing wrong with that, in general, but at least one was aimed at a middle school audience.

I'm not looking into any "goals" or "challenges" this year. If one comes along that interests me, fine. Otherwise, that's fine, too.

The books that I've been reading are generally large, and my time devoted to them (especially if I'm driving) is short. Not a good combo if the plan is to read N number of books. I mused the thought of tracking pages, but even this is silly given some content. For example, last year I read a book of poetry, a photo essay, and a book with large print. For that matter, I couldn't say how many pages ebooks have because it depends upon the font size.

So, no goals. Plans? Well, I have to read some more Eric Flint before Heliosphere, NY this year, where Mr. Flint will be one of the guests of honor, and a mini-1632 convention will take place within the larger sci-fi convention.

I will continue to read more of the recently departed Sue Grafton, eventually, though not likely in 2018, getting to Y is for Yesterday, which will, sadly, be the final letter of the alphabet.

I will finish at least two books of fairy tales that I've started but put aside because I can only read so many before my mind wants something else.

I will get more of the paper books off my shelf and out of the house even as I bring in my electronic ones.

There will be more manga and more math books, and possibly a manga math book!

There will be words, pictures, poetry, and whatever may come along that strikes my interest.

And there will be write-ups, summaries and reviews, even as I re-evaluate just who I'm writing this blog for.

Looking forward to 2018, which has already started, and I'm already reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cibola Burn (Corey)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)