Flash Fiction Library: A Touch of Darkness (McLachlan)

Flash Fiction Library, Volume 1: A Touch of Darkness, Keith McLachlan (2016)

[NO IMAGE WILL BE INCLUDED]

Okay, so I've been dabbling in a bunch of stuff over the past month or two, starting a couple of paper books, and even carrying them around, as well as starting (or resuming) a couple of crossword and cryptic crossword books that I need to work on or toss out. (And if you know me, I can't just toss things out.) And there is so much gaming material in PDF format that I'm currently plowing through.

At some point, either through FreeEbooks on reddit, or perhaps a mailing list, I found four volumes of flash fiction, which are usually good if you want a quick read, maybe with lunch or something.

This wasn't it.

I'm including this as an entry on my blog, because I tried. I even completed the first story when I should have given up after the second paragraph, and then again by the second page.

Self-publishing is fraught with peril, and if one cannot afford an editor, then one should at least run it past a couple of friends. Preferably one who is an English major. I wasn't, but even I could see what was wrong with this book.

And if you gotten to the point of creating four (short) volumes of stories, you should probably go back and correct the initial ones. Also, learn basic rules of writing, including the rule that says that you need to know the rules before you can break them.

This book on Amazon had only one review, which was a five-star rating and a summary that wasn't even true. I left a two-star review, with the second star being because I was overly nice, and I wasn't finishing this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)