A New Look at Arithmetic (Adler)

A New Look at Arithmetic, by Irving Adler (1964)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

This was another math book removed from the libary of William E. Grady High School, which would have been disposed of by the Math Dept had I not rescued it. (Said rescue will likely end when scifi conventions start again, at which point, I will attempt to "pass it on.")

It has diagrams by Ruth Adler. When I taught at Grady, the Math Coach was named Jill Adler. Had I read this book sooner, I might've inquired if she were related. You never know.

I found this book amusing to begin with because it was geared to folks who needed to learn the "new math" of the 60s, as opposed to the new math of the past decade. The one reason that I was aware that there was new math in the 60s was because of a Tom Lehrer song.

In any case, the first chapter goes into great detail about sets. What's funny is that I remember learning about sets in early years of grade school, but they sort of fell of the radar after a while. And when I began teaching, students weren't too sure about what a set was. They only knew Venn diagrams from English classes where there would compare and contrast texts.

There isn't much to see about this book because I've covered a lot of the same material with the prior math books. If I could say one thing, it's that I found myself skimming and skipping ahead not because it was becoming confusing and unreadable but because it was very familiar material and tended to plod on longer than I needed.

If I had to say something else, the negative would be the confusing things about naming sets after numbers (or vice versa?) and then summing 2 + 3 to get 5, when the examples until then should give you 3. The positive would be seeing the method for finding square roots by hand that I had to do way back when. Obviously, this got very tedious for more than 3 significant digits.

I acutally have a couple more math books, but I have regular books that need to be read, in print and ebook formats, including one I don't mind taking into the pool with me. Those are next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)