The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Christie)

The Mysterious Affair at Styles, by Agatha Christie (1920)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

I will admit that I was looking for a couple of quick, short books to read to pad out my blog by the end of the year. An anthology of Agatha Christie books showed up online, and I thought this would be perfect. A couple of reasons: one, I just read a couple of mysteries by Sue Grafton; and two, I'd read the first book before. (Note: the image above is generic, not from the download.)

Okay, so it's been a long time since high school, and the only things I remembered about the book were Poirot, Hastings and "it wasn't strychnine, was it?" Also, back then, I didn't understand the title -- it didn't make any sense to me because I didn't know in advance that "Styles" refered to Styles Court, the estate were the murder takes place.

I knew I was in trouble when the book was front-loaded with characters whom I knew I'd never keep straight. I had trouble with the last Grafton book because of all the players. It was slow going, particularly since without a daily commute, I was reading primarily in the evening. When I didn't fall asleep, I was drowsy enough that I wasn't remembering what was going on. I think I missed part of the ending (about the third chapter from the end) which left me a little confused. At the same time, I didn't want to go back because I wanted to finish before midnight. That wouldn't happen if I kept going back.

So the question is, will I read more Christie? It is something that I should've done long ago as my wife not only has read them all but has a set of her books. (These actually my be in a relative's basement, but they still exist.) Something to think about.

As mentioned above, this was an ebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)