My Hero Academia Volume 31

My Hero Academia Volume 31, by Kōhei Horikoshi (2017-2019)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

This is the most recent issue available, and it merits a separate entry even if it was only 40 minutes of reading.

I'll have a separate entry for the spinoff My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, which I'm also up to date on.

This book came as a little bit of a surprise. I put a hold on it at the library a while back and suddenly there it was.

The series has gotten a bit dark, with its emphasis on the League of Villains and the Paranormal Liberation Front. but now we discover Dabi's true secret, and the revenge that he's been waiting for. No spoiler, but it's dark, and it concerns the new Number 1 Hero.

Despite being on the cover, Izuku Midoriya (Deku) has little to do since he's in the hospital from his battle with All for One's vassal Shiguraki.

So if I had a problem with this series, it's this: it's supposed to be about a high school. While I'm happy Japan's active heroes appear and get showcased, and even happier that a squad of high schoolers do NOT run off and save the world every issue, the focus has shifted. The bigger issues in the world have taken center stage. But we seeing it from the front lines, not through the lens of the teens in training.

And, again, without a spoiler, after 30+ issues that just about got us through a single year, the reveal on the last page with Mioriya was a head scratcher. There's a sudden jump in the timeline (a few months) and a rash decision for someone training to be the world's greatest hero. And it's practically an off-the-cuff aside.

Oh, yeah, I'll have the next issue on hold at the library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)