hook line sinker (Rowe)

Hook Line Sinker: An Online Resource Book for People who Teach Mathematics, John Rowe (2019)

Not really a review, just reminding myself about some of the details of what I read ...

I didn't read this over the summer as much as perused it. As the title says, it's an online resource, meaning each section contains a lot of links to a lot of examples and exercises and lessons and whatnot. It's a great guide for cutting through the Net, and it contains likes to several people I follow online or whom I've actually met in real life, which is a bonus.

The book is listed as free (and should always be free), and you can find it at: https://books.apple.com/au/book/hook-line-sinker/id1452938209
Additionally, all the resources linked in the book are free as well. There is nothing typically be found in textbooks included here.

Hook, line, sinker is an obvious fishing reference for "reeling them in", and it follows a common theme I've encountered in Math PD (professional development) about "Math in 3 Acts". Another allusion would be "Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert", or something similar.

In this case, Rowe goes with: hook, how will you hook them in?; line, how will you build on what they already know; sinker, how will you help them consolidate what they learn?

Engage, Explore/Explain, Elaborate/Evaluate.

So I did go through it, even if I didn't read all the resources -- most of which I could, considering I was reading this on the train, mostly. But I'll still count it as a book read for the year. And a math book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)