They Called Us Enemy (Takei, Eisinger, Scott, Becker)

They Called Us Enemy , George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott; Illustraded by Harmony Becker (2019)

IMAGE COMING

Not really a review, just reminding myself about some of the details of what I read ...

Last month, I got an email about an event at the Barnes & Nobles in Union Square. George Takei would be there signing his new book. Advance reservations were needed, and tickets included the price of one book. Everyone was told in advance that he would only signed these books, and did not pose for photos. It was an interesting evening. I just wish I'd picked a different seat. I sat in the center, a little farther back, instead of in a closer row on the side. I didn't know how they would call us up -- section by section or row by row. So I sat for a half hour more than I otherwise might have.

On the bright side, I got to read most of the book while I was waiting.

They Called Us Enemy is a graphic novel of a story I'd heard before. Takei has already published an autobiography, which I listened to many years ago. And I've heard a TED Talk he gave once. I believe this story as told here is based on a TED Talk, if only because there are "present day" scenes of him talking to an audience. (It could also blatantly say in the book that it was based on this, and I'm just not remembering it. Wouldn't be the first time.)

Putting the story in this form brings a new dimension to it, helping the reader to visualize what his family and other families went through. It also opens it up to a new generation who are big on graphic novels, and who might be spurred on to investigate further. (Takei's biography, for example.) And the story goes beyond the war, integrating back into society and fighting for the rights of many Japanese whose rights were trampled during their internment. Fascinating read.

That said, the parallels that they try to draw with current day political situations fall flat. No one will be awakened by the comparison. No opinions will be changed.

The most poignant parts of the book, were the father-son talks, particularly those after the war, when George learned things that he hadn't realized when he was just a child. Another important moment, as Takei started working politically to make the world a better place, he had the chance to meet Eleanor Roosevelt. Unfortunately, his father felt ill and went home early. Only later did he learn that his father faked the illness because he didn't want to shake the hand of the widow of the man who had put him through that ordeal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)