They Were the Best of Gnomes ... (Wills)

They Were the Best of Gnomes, They Were the Worst of Gnomes: Tales from a Second Hand Wand Shop (2012)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

Sometime before last Christmas, I was curious about gnomes, trolls and halflings because of a character I'd written a little bio about but had no story for. I was curious what was out there. So I downloaded a few free titles, including A Very Beechwood Christmas and Troll Hunter: Witch for Hire.

I also downloaded three books in this series. Now that summer is here, I started to read the first one. Unlike most books that I usually wait until I'm 10% into before giving up, I bailed at about 2-3%. (I actually went back for that extra 1%.) The writing was distracting, including some ridiculous footnotes to information that either should have been in the text or eliminated completely.

All that aside, it didn't grab me enough to overlook the problems, which I'll do if I enjoy the story being told. That's why I try to use 10% as a threshold (expandable to 20%, if it's on the bubble). This one just didn't do it for me.

If anyone who randomly finds this page in a search result wants to let me know with as little spoilers as possible what would be in store for me if I read on, I might reconsider. But until then, I have a large TBR pile, particularly with ebooks, so I'll move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)