The Geometry of Pasta (Hilderbrand, Kenedy, Vandy)

The Geometry of Pasta, Caz Hildebrand, Jacob Kenedy, Lisa Vandy (Illustrator) (2010)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

I saw a picture of the book cover on Twitter. Without knowing anything about it, I searched both the Brooklyn and New York Public Libraries for a copy. I found a hardcover, which I'm not used to reading any more.

First off, it's a cookbook. Yes, I read it. I skipped the recipes and read all the introductions.

The book is organized by pasta type, listing over 100 of them, many that I never heard of, and some that are likely only available in Italy (or in heavily-Italian neighborhoods in NYC, of course). Some of them are only good if they can be made fresh (which I'll never do, nor am I likely to go buy them freshly made).

The introductions mention the shape and what sauces would be good with them. Some shapes scoop up sauce better than others. Some have to be cooked in a certain manner because the thinner parts might be overdone before the thicker parts are cooked.

Interesting read, and I'm glad I got a copy of it. I took photos of a couple of the sauces that seem easy to make, and of a few recipes for more common pastas that I could attempt on my own. I didn't bother with "simple" ones that called for ingredients I'm not likely to buy, like salmon or boar meat (or boar fat).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)