The Graveyard Book (Gaiman)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

This was a Book Club selection, and it was one of my choices. I was asked to pick three books that I wanted to read. I selected the first of the Murderbot series, and "The Three-Body Problem", both of which I've had in my kindle for quite a while. I considered a few other books but all were well over 400 pages. I didn't want to obligate myself to something that I'd have to slog through. For this reason, I didn't select the first book in The Expanse series (which I've since read on my own). I perused Good Reads for suggestions. Neil Gaiman had quite a few books listed, so I decided to go with one I hadn't heard of, and hoped that the others hadn't either. Less of a chance that they'd already read it.

The Graveyard Book was the clear winner, with Three-Body getting no votes at all.

In the book, a man named Jack (who is referred to in that manner repeatedly) kills a family, but he misses the baby, who had climbed from his crib and toddled up the road to the cemetery. There he is protected by some of the spirits which live there, and one who has taken residence there. The ghost of the baby's mother frantically arrives and implores the spirits to protect her child. She cannot stay because she won't be laid to rest there. But Mr. and Mrs. Owens take charge of the baby and call him Nobody Owens (aka "Bod"). He is given Freedom of the Graveyard like his protector and teacher, Silas, has been given. Silas clouds the mind of the killer to leave when he approaches.

Years pass and Bod gets restless. He wants to go to school and meet people. He outgrows his playmates in the cemetery.

He gets into misadventures and finds but he is protected, and becomes the subject of an ancient prophecy. Meanwhile, the man called Jack returns looking to finish the job he started. We learn more about Bod's family and the fact that Bod's disappearance was covered up.

I enjoyed the book. I expected the ending, and yet I was a little disappointed in it. Bod would eventually have to leave the graveyard and face the world, and he would have to do it alone. However, he seems to be a little young to be doing that at this point. Granted, had I read this as a teen, I might not have thought that was a problem. But as a teen, I didn't have a good grasp at how life worked either.

It was a good read, and I really need to read more of Gaiman's works. I have so many as ebooks from a Humble Bumble years ago. (That's how I found out that I'd actually purchased his first book as a gift -- it was a quickie book about Duran Duran.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)