Houston, Houston, Do You Read? (Tiptree)

Houston, Houston, Do You Read?, James Tiptree, 1976


Hugo and Nebula winner (for novella or novel?), part of Tor SF double #11.
Not so good. Quite confusing. Starts off with a full cast of characters on one ship -- suddenly it's a year before and they're on different ships. I missed the transition line, which was important because the main character was being drugged at the time, and I'm still not sure what happened at the end. It seems to end before it began, or something like that.
I knew I was in trouble when it began on page one with a guy alone in his shower holding his "[vulgar term deleted]"
Three [men] going around the Sun lose contact with Earth -- they were shot into the future. In the meantime, Earth is hit with a plague that wipes out most of humanity. Guess what -- only women are left.
Nice scientific explanations, but the story was lame.
Didn't like it.




I can't read my own handwriting. I have no idea what I wrote in place of "men", what the word could be, but I'm assuming I was refering to three male astronauts.

I thought I would've enjoyed it more for the awards that it had won, but it might've been that the story was just a little dated and the subject of numerous B-movies in the intervening years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)