The Oakdale Affair (Burroughs)

The Oakdale Affair, Edgar Rice Burroughs, 1918


The story of the theft of jewelry from Miss Abigail Prim by the Oskaloosa Kid, or at least by someone purported to be the Kid, and the disappearance of the same Miss Prim, who may be in league with the criminals, possibly including the real Oskaloosa Kid.
Misidentification is key to the complications that beset the Kid, the runaway girl that doesn't want to face her father, and a gentleman hobo named Bridge, as they avoid some dangerous killer tramps, the police and even a gypsy with a bear and still managed to surprise me with the ending (though if I had read little more or had done this in one sitting without putting it down a few times for other things, I might have caught on sooner!)
Good, fun, quick read.
I wonder if the movie was any good.




I was attracted to the book because I've read Burroughs's Mars books, and the bear on the cover was cool. I really didn't know what to expect from this book, but I did know that the imcomparable Deja Thoris wasn't going to make an appearance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cibola Burn (Corey)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)