Souls (Russ)

Souls, Joanna Russ, 1982


Hugo winner. Tor SF double #11
The better of the pair. A boy (now much older) recalls the remarkable Abbess from his childhood and how she handled an invasion by sacking Vikings.
The ending was confusing. Was the Abbess so bright because she had been from the future from the day she was born? Had someone from the future taken over her body at some point?
Good story. Fun read. But when I was finished, I was a little unsatisfied as if some part of the tale had been missing.
(They also might have been aliens because everyone was bald. I don't know.)




I confess: I don't remember a thing about this story now. I do remember some of the tropes involved in the other part of this double, but probably because of the tropes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)