Rocket Fuel (McGovern, Lough)

Rocket Fuel: Some of the Best of Tor.com Non-Fiction , Bridget McGovern and Chris Lough, ed. (2018)

Even though I'm on the mailing list for Tor.com, probably since the first time I downloaded a copy of 1632 or something else, I rarely check out their website unless I see links to specific articles posted elsewhere on social media. One such link brought me to this ebook.

I didn't know what to expect from the title. Well, that's not exactly true. I know what I expected: non-fiction with a name like "rocket fuel" meant that this should've been a lot of stuff about space and planets and stuff like that. That's not what it was. That's not to say what I got was bad, just unexpected.

Even though this is a work of non-fiction, many of the essays deal with fiction, from the perspective of fandom, or just deep analysis of some facet of the work. I enjoyed some more than others, and some I might've enjoyed more had they been about half the size. Seriously, most of the stuff I read on the site is short by comparison to the pieces included in this book. Again, not a problem, but when I realized just how much was being written about Galadriel, I took a break, moved on, planning to get back to it.

Additionally, two back to back essays about Robert Jordan were interesting, but I haven't read anything of his. No, haven't started Wheel of Time, and I've had friends who have warned me away from it -- even as they are drawn into it.

The most interesting piece, at least for quirkiness, has to do with the anatomy and diet of centaurs, taking a scientific look at a fantasy staple, and pondering just how it gets enough nutrition to survive. Digestion problems abound.

A couple of essays started off too well about things I hadn't read, causing me to stop, lest the books or stories be spoiled. Not that I know if I'll read those any time soon.

On the social justice warrior front, there are important notes from affected folks, but overall, stuff I'd heard or read before and I found myself moving on before getting halfway through many of the entries after the first couple.

I guess I was skipping ahead looking for ice volcanoes of Neptune or realistic flying cars for Mars. Or just notes on rocket fuel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)