The Alienist (Carr)

The Alienist, by Caleb Carr (1994)

Like many, I saw the series, The Alienist on television, and then decided to find a copy of the novel. Like many, I decided to get it from the library, so there was a wait. Still, I managed to read it earlier in the year (before summer vacation), but I didn't get around to writing it up until the year was almost out. So I don't remember everything about it. That's the main reason I try to write these things in a timely manner.

Having seen the show, I put faces to many of the characters in advance, which is usually helpful (except in those instances where someone is woefully miscast). The story tells the tale of a serial killer in 19th century New York City, during Teddy Roosevelt's tenure as Police Commissioner. He charges Dr. Lazlo Kreizler with solving a set of grisly murders involving a disaffected portion of the underclass of society. Namely, poor immigrant boys that dress up like girls for the benefit of "gentlemen" of lower Manhattan.

Anyway, the first impression from the book was that I was glad that it started in the middle of things. The book opens with the third murder, with the reader being informed of the two prior. The show started with the first (although it was the same one depicted at the start of the book), and this dragged out the story a bit. Then again, they had ten or twelve episodes to fill.

The book also allows us to read, and reread, if necessary, things, like jargon or science explanations, that might've gone by too fast on TV. And you got a better handle on the characters.

This was the first work of Carr's I've read, and I wouldn't be opposed to reading more. And then possibly writing them up in a more timely manner.

(Note for anyone finding this page through a search engine: this blog isn't really meant to be a review page. More of a reading log for myself so I can keep track of things that I've read and maybe a few details besides. Comments are welcome, but please be polite.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)