Rom (comic)

ROM, 2016-2017

About a month ago, I saw a link to download from free digital comics. Found a few that I might read and clicked. When I tried to open them, my iPad brought me to the App Store and the ComicXology app, which I would need to read the comics. Upon opening that, I found that I ha a free week of unlimited comic reading. (Exactly a week, not a minute more.)

The immediate questions were: what do I want to read, and where do I begin?

Many comics have continual story lines that don't seem to have a definite beginning, and some of them never end -- or at least wouldn't within a week. You can't even assume a story starts with issue #1 these days.

In the list of suggestions, I spotted ROM. I read every issue of the original run of ROM: Spaceknight, although I might have missed crossovers when he appeared in other comics. I didn't buy a lot back then. I knew that he was brought back because of a "Free Comic Book Day" comic which amounted to a four or six page preview for the first issue.

ROM and the rest of the spaceknights were re-imagined a bit, but they were still essentially the same. The Dire Wraiths were more the kind from later in the original series, not that original, though somewhat ill-defined, form. The Wraiths have infested Earth on a massive scale. ROM wishes to save the planet while the other knights think it's a lost cause and wish to burn it.

It was enjoyable, even if it was a different take. Likewise, early issues feature other Hasbro toys, namely Transformers and GI Joe. And then there's a problem.

There were other comics, somewhat important to the story line, that happened outside of the main run of ROM. Unfortunately, just because you have "unlimited" access to comics, that doesn't mean that the platform itself has unlimited comics available. I couldn't read these things. (I'm sure I could have bought them however.)

For the fourteen issues that were there, I enjoyed this "alternate" take on ROM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)