Buffalo Dogs (Schoen)

Buffalo Dogs (The Amazing Conroy, Book 0) , Lawrence M. Schoen (2001)

Not really a review, just reminding myself about some of the details of what I read ...

Not a book, just a story from 2001, which was republished as a standalone book, available for free. It's a great introduction to the series. And least I hope it is because I haven't read the series, but I would like to.

Disclosure: I've met Schoen at conventions, and while I doubt he'd remember it, we even had dinner together once, as a group of six were trying to eat before other panel appearances. (My brother and I were the only two who were not panelists, but I gave a ride to one of the others.) I also own a small Buffalo Dog stuffed animal that I won at a Reading at a different convention -- there were twelve people in the room, so he rolled a d12. Woo Hoo!

Back to the story. Conroy is a space-traveling hypnotist who works lounges on foreign planets and space stations. He gets into a little bit of trouble after his act one night with some literal-minded aliens who are also somewhat telepathic. The major export on the planet are their buffalo dogs: little animals that could be carried around the way celebrities these days keep one in their purses.

As a result of the mixup, Conroy finds himself forced to become a licensed dealer, who is able to transport one dog off-world at a time. Females cannot be taken unless they are neutered to keep control of the supply. Back when a trader gets arrested for smuggling, Conroy is enlisted because of his license. He puts his hypnosis skills to good use, and likely set up a great future business for himself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)