Ultraman Volume 1

Ultraman Vol 1, by Eiichi Shimizu and Tomohiro Shimoguch (2012/2015)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

Back at the library, walking among the manga and graphic novels. I saw Ultraman 1 was there (while My Hero Academia 1 was not), so I gave it a go.

A little online research says that its a sequel to the TV series, not a sequel to a different manga. I was curious because of the "Beginning of a New Era" on the cover.

The legendary "Giant of Light" now a memory, as it is believed he returned home after fighting the many giant aliens that invaded the Earth. Shin Hayata's son Shinjiro seems to possess a strange ability, and it is this ability, along with his father's revelation that he was Ultraman, that leads Shinjiro to battle the new aliens invading the Earth as the new Ultraman. The story is set up and then there's the prolonged battle sequence with the new Ultraman's first new enemy who states that his power does not belong on this planet.

Like most manga of this type, it's visually stunning but sometimes I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at.

Still, I'm likely to read more in the future. I could probably knock one of these off during a daily commute. At the moment, there are only 16 volumes, the last of which isn't available in English yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)