Greegs and Ladders (Mitchell and Mendlow)

Greegs and Ladders, Zack Mitchell and Danny Mendlow (2013)

An Incredible Journey Through Space and Time



It was not. CJB

(Not a review -- but if it were, it would be "this is bad. just bad." --
just some notes to help me remember the things I've read -- except that this is probably one I won't want to remember.
But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

So I downloaded this book many years ago. It's one of the oldest things in my kindle app, and I can't transfer it to my new iPad because the book was never archived anywhere. What I mean by that is that I didn't download this to my PC and then email it to my kindle account. I must've saved it directly into the app. So if I delete this book, it's gone.

Having no way to move it, I finally decided to read it while I was in between other things (my book club book and last month's Analog, specifically).

I managed to get through 10 chapters of rambling, possibly not pointless but hard to tell, exposition, that should've been a single chapter, possibly two. And while I made it through 10 of the book's 50 chapters, I was barely at 10% of the book. Something seemed off there.

It would appear that the authors are trying to make some kind of commentary, but they didn't get to that by a point where I gave up.

One thing I noticed was that if I read it to myself imagining the voice of the narrator from the old "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" TV series, I chuckle at least chuckle at the voice in my head reading this dreck, even though it didn't make the text itself any funnier.

Around this point I might mention the names of the main characters, but so far, there aren't any. A couple are introduced in Chapter 11, and the first thing you read is "He". Neither name appears until the next page. Again, this is on purpose, and there's a point to it, but whatever that point might be, it appears pretty dull.

I almost skipped making a record of this book. Instead, I'll post this the day before I finish my next book, so it doesn't stay at the top of the blog for longer than necessary.

And now I can delete this book, so it will be gone. After that, I wil not be able to have any discussions about it (not that I would) because I won't have a copy to refer back to.

I'm reading about a Monkey God now. Going quicker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)