My Hero Academia Volumes 22 Through 30

My Hero Academia Volumes 15 Through 21 , by Kōhei Horikoshi (2017-2019)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

I am now caught up with all the books that are currently available at the New York Public Library in ebook format. I could switch to one of the spin-offs next month or later.

In these 9 volumes, I have caught up with and passed the TV series. Now I know why the last season of the show obsessed with the League of Villains for almost the entire run. Because the manga was obsessed with it and Re-Destro for several volumes, and beyond.

The thing is, this was a show about a high school for future heroes. And while it's great to get more backstory, and see more of the active heroes, the high school itself gets lost. There are occasional training bouts between the classes. And we've gotten more of Midoriya, Bakugo and Shoto and a few of the others, but the rest are almost minor characters. Yes, there's a greater storyline going on, but it does seem to drag out a bit.

The students in Class 1-A still haven't finished their freshmen year yet.

If there's another complaint, it's that Shigaraki has the powers of All-for-One, but Eraser stared at him for a couple of volumes to nullify his powers. Even still, he withstood super furnace blasts from Endeavor, which should've incinerated him. Now, the hero isn't looking to kill the villain, but if he's pumping his power up that high, how is the guy still standing?

The last volume I read (30) had a big reveal for Dabi, and what the source of his powers are, and what's up with that jaw of his. I wonder if that had been planned from the start or they thought it up along the way. The creator said that he could imagine the story running 30 issues, and here we are, so maybe. But there's more to do. Midoriya hasn't become the Number 1 hero yet. He hasn't finished school yet. And he hasn't had all of his powers manifest yet (even if they didn't all manifest for prior holders of One-for-All.)

I'll have to keep an eye out every so often for the next volume. Then again, I read 8 of the 9 parts of that other thing. I wonder if it ever came out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)