Amora: Stories (Borges)

Amora: Stories by Natalia Borges (2015)

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

The cover says "Natalia Borges Polesso, translated by Julia Sanches".

This book was part of Amazon's World Book Day 2021, when I downloaded 10 books. Like in previous years, it is likely that I won't read more than 2 or 3 of them. I still haven't read most of the previous books. This one is from Brazil and is described as An exquisite collection of stories exploring the complexity of love between women.

I'm not the target audience for lesbian literature nor is it something that I would think to seek out. Maybe if a friend gave me a book and asked my opinion, that would be a different matter. Anyway, I didn't let the subject matter prevent me from cracking the electronic cover.

I got about 30% of the way through the book. Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm between books and the file is still on the app. I don't know. I might have gotten hooked had it been one long narrative, but of the first bunch of short stories, none of them grabbed me. I don't know how many were pseudo-autobiographical but it was obvious that Borges was drawing on her past experiences.

If I had one problem with it, it was the continuous stream of thought and text. It may have been an appropriate writing style but a couple of stories just seemed to run on to me and were a drag to read.

Anyway, I gave it a shot, and decided to move on. If you found this page while surfing the Internet, don't take this as anything more than one person's opinion.

After this, I'm reading more Sherlock Holmes and Analog and there's another book club book coming up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedeviled Eggs (Childs)

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Doidge)

Cibola Burn (Corey)