Friday, September 25, 2026

Heracles: The Hydra of Lerna (Kin)

Heracles: The Hydra of Lerna
by Kin (2026)


(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

This book was a free Advanced Reader Copy from Library Thing. I'm encouraged (but not required) to leave reviews in exchange for the free books.

Actually, I received this book in error. There was a mistake made, and I wasn't supposed to receive this book, but I did. I didn't mind. I wanted to read it. I have to see if I can leave a review any way.

This is book number 2 in the Heracles Of Blood & Bronze series.

I left the following review on the Library Thing website:

Since I wasn't supposed to receive this, I haven't, as of yet, left a review.




Somehow, this is another book that slipped through the cracks for the year. Thankfully, I received book 3 so I could discover that I hadn't written up the second one.

As in the first book, there's a journey involved. Heracles is told of the monster by someone who finds him and then dies. Heracles goes to find it. The problem with finding the bodies along the way is that it seems odd that the one survivor made it all the way to Heracles or that he even knew where to seek him out. It could be that the Hydra is retreating, making the journey longer.

Once again, the title creature doesn't appear in the first two-thirds or even three-quarters of the book before Heracles gets down to business with dispatching the creature.

I enjoyed the book even though it was a little slow, with little dialogue, and too much traveling. The question is what are you going to put into a novella? An 80-page fight scene would be tedious. And since this is basically a "boss battle", and bosses don't retreat and regroup.

Its a literary approach, and on that level, it succeeds.

Book 3 coming up next.





If you stumbled across my page via the Internet, please check out my new book series that starts with, 7 Flashes of Science Fiction, seven glimpses into possible futures for our world and the worlds around us.


Also, check out my other short book series, Burke Lore Briefs. A fantastical fivesome of flash fiction and short stories. (Amazon only shows the first three books in the image. Go figure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heracles: The Hydra of Lerna (Kin)

Heracles: The Hydra of Lerna by Kin (2026) (Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. ...