Emily Jane (2023)
[AUDIO ONLY -- no image]
(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)
This was a random audiobook selection that I found in a library app. It suffered from being an audiobook on a few fronts. First, the multiple POV shifts made it confusing to follow when I started and stopped too often, so I had to listen on longer walks (not to the subway in the morning). Second, it was just difficult keeping track of the characters and I wasn't always sure where I was. Third, some of the voice work, particularly the kids talking about "Mr. Meow Mitts" were really, really annoying. Really.
Whatever everyone had going on in their lives, and there was something for everyone, it all took a strange turn when alien ships enter the atmosphere. And then, even stranger, the ships all left, and no one knows why. Why did they come all this way and then just leave?
Also, any time someone acts a little strange, there's talk of trying to peel their skin off to see if they're really an alien. The kids think their dad might be one. (Not really a spoiler: He's not, but Mom is.)
We later learn that aliens have been living among us for some time. They were supposed to be watching and not interfering, but they didn't know how long they were going to be her, or even if they're stuck here, so they joined humanity. (They don't actually look like us, but they were "downloaded" into human bodies.) Some of them know about each other even though they aren't supposed to. One of them was even a "Jeopardy" champion and met Alex Trebek. (They've been here a while.)
The main characters all seem to be on the move for one reason or another, and all of them seem to have cats with them, some of which can talk to their companions.
As far as I can tell, the original dropping off aliens was 20 years earlier and went unnoticed. The ships arriving now was basically sending a message that they'd be coming back soon. Things work out somewhat for most of the aliens although we never actually learn how many are hear because, again, they aren't supposed to know.
The book was okay, except for the annoying kids (and "Mr. Meow Mitts"). I don't think I'm come back to reading it unless my book club somehow chooses it, and I'm not recommending it.
If you stumbled across my page via the Internet, please check out my new book series that starts with, 7 Flashes of Science Fiction, seven glimpses into possible futures for our world and the worlds around us.
No comments:
Post a Comment