Thursday, August 13, 2026

The Three-Body Problem (Liu Cixin)

The Three-Body Problem
Liu Cixin (2008)


[AUDIO ONLY -- no image]

(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)

I've had this ebook for a long time. I started it once or twice and didn't really get into it. It's been suggested by Libby before, and I thought, why not just listen to it? If I like it, maybe I'll read it after. I listened. I don't know if I'll read it.

I know that the Three-Body Problem deals with three objects in a stable orbit about one another. If you were to look at an animated .GIF file, it would be interesting to look at. Adding to this is a fourth object, which would be a planet in such a system. All of this appears to the main character as a very realistic interactive game. He witnesses several civilizations fall as stable eras become chaotic eras when the population needs to dehydrate themselves so that they can be brought back in the next stable era.

I honestly couldn't tell you what was going on it the rest of the book outside the game. He (or was it she?) is a scientist in China, so everyone needs to toe the party line or at least keep it in mind.

We also find out that Trisolaris (if I remember correctly) turns out to be real and when they are contacted, they insist that Earth not contact them again, lest they be invaded. But Earth does. What will the next four centuries bring?

I listened to the opening chapters twice (which is getting to be a habit). And I listened to the ending twice, just to make sure that I heard the ending. It did just seem to stop to me. But I probably just missed stuff along the way.

The book was okay. I don't know if I'm reading it later. I might watch it on Netflix though.




If you stumbled across my page via the Internet, please check out my new book series that starts with, 7 Flashes of Science Fiction, seven glimpses into possible futures for our world and the worlds around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Three-Body Problem (Liu Cixin)

The Three-Body Problem Liu Cixin (2008) [AUDIO ONLY -- no image] (Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the ...