Edward Ashton (2025)
[AUDIO ONLY -- no image]
(Not a review, just some notes to help me remember the things I've read. But written this way because it's the Internet, and some people will stumble across this page.)
This was a random audiobook selection that I found in a library app. It was pretty good for walking around. As I mentioned in a different write-up, I may recommend this along with Between Two Fires and Dragon Teeth for my book club if I get another turn soon. (I also said that this review was coming soon -- and then promptly forgot about it!)
Not exaggerating -- since I listened to this, I listened to another book twice, plus another sci-fi book, and I'm in the middle of one more. I need to catch up.
Imagine that there's a federation of planets, except that Earth doesn't run it. In fact, there are only a couple of Terrans involved, and they work for giant snails of Unity. These Terrans are left on a planet of insectlike minarchs to start arranging a treaty. Their mother ship is destroyed in a confrontation with the Assembly, and they're waiting for a rescue. The Assembly's representative is Breaker, a giant stickman or sorts.
The intrigue comes not only from two rival factions of galactic confederation trying to win a planet, but from political intrigue with the minarchs themselves. First Among Equals meets with the human Dalton and gets named her Fourth Consort, which is unheard of and problematic. Dalton now has protected status but cannot leave the compound. He meets the Second Consort and Third Consort and discovers that the First Consort has been consumed by First Among Equals.
Also, escaping and hiding can be a problem because that would basically turn the planet over to the Assembly, and the snails would be so unhappy that the two humans would lose everything they have and be banished somewhere.
The clash of cultures plays out, especially considering that the minarchs are matriarchal, and that the stickman holds humans responsible for the death of his partner (translation confidence is low on that word). Dalton basically has a target on his back despite protections. He winds up as a second in a challenge for a disgraced minarch because no other minarch would stand by her, and as a result of his actions ends up in a duel of his own that will likely lead to his torture long before his death.
Spoiler: it does not. However, he's still not exactly safe, and he has decisions to make regarding his future as well as Neera's. (She's the other human, who has worked for the snails for much longer.)
This was enjoyable to listen to and I wouldn't mind reading it at some point in the future, if I don't forget about it.
If you stumbled across my page via the Internet, please check out my short book series, Burke Lore Briefs. A fantastical foursome of flash fiction and short stories.

No comments:
Post a Comment